Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bowman Bay State Park

On Wednesday I spent the afternoon at Bowman Bay State Park, one of my favorite local areas for bird photography. 

My first encounter was with this Swainson's thrush.  They're rather secretive birds and are typically well hidden in the brush, so it's always a pleasant surprise to be able to photograph one.  


This is a male Brown-headed cowbird that obligingly sat on this limb and allowed me to take all the photographs I wanted.


This is a flycatcher but I'm uncertain of it's species.  I normally expect to see Olive-sided flycatchers in this area but I think this may be some other species since its breast markings don't seem very distinct.  When I first spotted the flycatcher it had a large dragonfly in its beak (sorry Libby!).



 I located an adult Barn swallow gathering mud and grass for nesting materials, but on the same day I discovered a pair of adult Barn swallows feeding young on a limb.  It didn't appear that the young could fly and I was puzzled as to how they ended up on a fir limb far from any structure.  After watching them for awhile first one, then the other took off and I realized that they were fully flight capable, although they probably couldn't yet catch their own food. 


And finally, while I was at the park I watched a family of River otters (and adult and at least two young) playing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment