Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Serendipity... or, Here's Looking at You!



This is my second post today, so don't miss the first one below. 

This afternoon we had a contractor/friend/neighbor over to do some work on the house.  I was helping in some feeble ways.  He was through with the main part of the project when I went out through the front door to do something and came, figuratively, face-to-face with a male Western tanager sitting on one of my hanging 'staging sticks' under the Golden Chain tree (which has now entirely lost its blooms).  I was probably only about 25 feet away from the bird and it didn't fly.  From its posture I correctly guessed that it wanted to access the water feature, so I went back in the house and forbade anyone from going out the front door.  My friend, as he enjoys doing, reminded me that he was 'on the clock'! 

I retrieved my camera but remembered that my media card was upstairs by my computer.  I hurriedly rummaged through my camera bag looking for my little media card pouch, forgetting that I had a second different type of media card already mounted in the camera that I could have used.  I loaded the media card and crept out the front door.  The tanager wasn't in the main pool, as I would have guessed, so I began to sneak across the front of the watercourse mound to check the cascade part of the water feature.  Sure enough, the tanager flew from the water to one of the Madrone trees in the yard.  I had the opportunity to take about a dozen photos with the bird in a variety of poses on two separate perches.  You're seeing the results. 

This is actually the second male Western tanager I've seen in the yard this season, but the first was only here for a few seconds before it flew.  I'm hoping that it will consider this a favorable bath experience and return from time to time.  Yes, he looks a little rough... but how do YOU look just after leaving the shower?  



No comments:

Post a Comment