Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tis the Season!

I was able to salvage a few hours from the weather on Tuesday afternoon for a little photography at Bowman Bay State Park.  I found that many young have fledged by this time of year. 

Interestingly enough, I found what was apparently the same Swainson's thrush that I had photographed several days previously in the same area and was able to photograph it again... at a considerable cost in time.  I observed it many times but could only get within acceptable photographic range on a couple of occasions.  My first photograph was of what I've decided is a juvenile... it lacks the breast striping of the adult and had a yellow edge to its beak.  Curiously, I saw no interaction between this young bird and its parent which was in the area.  And I'm not even sure there were two parents... I never saw more than one thrush at a time. 



My next discovery was of a family of White-crowned sparrows.  Both adults were feeding young, but they soon flew and I only obtained a photo of one of the young birds.  


Finally, I discovered a family of Chestnut-backed chickadees feeding in the trees.  This photo is of one of the young begging for food.




No comments:

Post a Comment