Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Let me start by saying that the House wrens nesting over our patio are very active and I expect the young to fledge any day.  I just hope I'm around with my camera to record the event.  This isn't a good photo, but it gets across what the dwelling is like.



We're into the summer doldrums with not a lot of variety of species visiting the yard.  The most interesting birds we have now are woodpeckers (Hairy and Downy) and the hummingbirds.  All of the male Rufous hummingbirds have already left to fly south, leaving the females to raise their young.  We had a pair of Anna's until at least late spring but I haven't had a positive identification of one of them in 2-3 weeks. 

So for this post I'll show some of the female Rufous hummingbirds in the yard. 



I was a little puzzled over the identity of this hummingbird, but I'm fairly certain that it's a Rufous.  Not only does it have some splotchy rufous color on the tail, but if you look carefully at it's breast, just forward of the wing, it appears to have rufous there also.  


No comments:

Post a Comment