Friday, August 19, 2011

If Only Life Were Easy...

I was notified yesterday that my Nikon D300S camera had been repaired and was back from Nikon's repair facility.  I drove down this morning to retrieve the camera and, having learned from the first time I took it in, I performed a few field tests while at the camera store.  Everything seemed to function fine. 

I returned home and in the middle of the afternoon took my camera out into the yard to re-familiarize myself with it.  (It's been gone for exactly three weeks!)  I had no sooner settled into my chair to view our improved watercourse when a Yellow warbler flew into the yard.  While it never visited the watercourse it did show an interest by flying over it several times, and the bird spent 6-8 minutes in the yard while I took photos.  Unfortunately I hadn't really gotten settled and the first photos I took were not with the full 400mm resolution.  Even more unfortunately, I just now discovered that Nikon set the camera to JPG instead of RAW so I missed out on additional detail! 

I spent a couple of hours in the yard thinking just how good life was to me, when my camera suddenly started malfunctioning again... exactly the same problem I had when I sent it back the two previous times!  (Periodically the camera refuses to recall the image to the screen or if it does it won't take any action on the image such as magnification, going to the next image, deletion, etc.)  Nikon, for it's part, this time charged me $250 to clean the camera and return it to specs... apparently their term for ignoring my description of the problem and simply running it through standard bench tests.  The dealer's main repair person was out until Monday but I plan to call her and find out what I can do to have the camera evaluated and fixed. 

So here are the photos I took of the Yellow warbler in the yard this afternoon...





No comments:

Post a Comment