Thursday, August 11, 2011

BIrds of Arizona

First a little 'yard' news and then back to my spring trip to the Southwest.  Since this past Sunday we've had a garden-variety parakeet (also known as Great Horned owl food!) frequenting the yard, surely an escapee.  This birds is a very agile flyer and although it seems somewhat curious about human presence I doubt we have any chance to capture it.  I've taken some photos with my small Panasonic 'point-and-shoot' but since my good camera is still with Nikon I don't plan to post any photos.  If you want to know what it looks like just visit your nearest pet store and ogle the green and yellow variety! 

First up, from Cave Creek Canyon just outside Portal, AZ, is this small flycatcher.  These small flycatchers are very difficult to definitively identify without vocalization and even had I heard any it wouldn't have helped me.  If anyone wants to hazard a guess as to the species let me know. 

I photographed this bird from the car.  I drove up on it and it immediately flew to a brand just outside the passenger window, so close that I was surprised my camera would even focus on it.  I managed to get two photos before it flew off. 

Again from Cave Creek Canyon, this from the upper walking-only part of the canyon.  I sat by the creek for an hour or more hoping for an Elegant Trogon, but it was not to happen.  However I bagged this fine consolation prize... a Painted Redstart.  

Just outside Portal, AZ, I encountered hoards of migrating warblers.  I made several trips up and down the road photographing them from my car, then returned on foot later in the morning.  This is a Wilson's warbler, one of the more common warblers we have in Skagit County in the spring.  If you've been following this blog for long you may remember one (or more) I photographed in our yard.  

And finally, also in the Portal area, a Yellow warbler also found along the road.  

No comments:

Post a Comment