Monday, August 15, 2011

Fresh News and More Arizona Birds

Before I get to more birds of Arizona, I have a little yard news to announce.  Yesterday I was out in the yard and happened to look up to see a Peregrine falcon gliding overhead.  It landed in the top of one of 'our' trees!  To my knowledge this is the first Peregrine falcon that has landed in what I consider the yard. 

I can't remember whether or not I've mentioned this before, but since last Sunday we've had a green and yellow parakeet visiting the yard daily.  On the advice of a friend who has birds, we placed a bird cage (with food) in the yard under its usual area of interest but we never saw it land on the cage.  I tried edging a little pond net up near it but it was too skittish for that so we've pretty much given up on capturing the bird.  It is a very agile flyer but we never see it coming to a feeder and we worry what will happen to it when winter comes. 

I'm happy to be able to display four different species of warblers in this posting... with at least one more species to come.  All of these birds were photographed on the same day (5/1) in eastern Arizona near the small town of Portal.  at one point this general area was threatened by wildfires earlier this summer but I believe that Portal escaped the danger. 

This is a Black-throated Gray warbler, the first I had photographed...

What I assume is a Townsend's warbler, although the very similar Black-throated Green warbler has occasionally been seen in the general area. 

The Wilson's warbler, photos of which have previously appeared in this blog.  This specimen was displaying and I obtained several interesting photos.  

A Yellow warbler...

My skills with the use of Adobe Lightroom have improved which allows me to process my photos much more quickly, but I'm slowed in the case of the birds I photographed in the Southwest in that I'm out of my area of familiarity with the various species.  I don't consider that I have any identification skills beyond what I would term 'moderate', even in Skagit County.  Identifying these birds from my photos takes a lot longer and in some cases I have to rely on help from more experienced birders... when I can find dependable help.  Added to this is the frustration that many of the excellent photos of flycatchers that I obtained will probably never be able to be positively identified by anyone!  If you disagree with any of my identifications feel free to post to the blog. 

I received an update regarding my Nikon camera which has been in their repair facility for the past 2+ weeks.  Apparently in inserting a Compact Flash media card I bent some of the small wires in the camera body so that connection mechanism has to be replaced.  The same thing happened to a friend who has a similar camera, though a professional photographer friend of mine says that he has inserted the CF cards thousands of times and never had a problem.  My camera has a second slot for an SD card which is a much-improved design over the CF card so I'll be using SD cards for my primary storage and will download CF cards through the cable system instead of removing them from the camera.  A few more of those kinds of problems and I could purchase a new camera!  I've been missing the camera to document some of our summer visitors! 


No comments:

Post a Comment