Sunday, August 19, 2012

What Have I Done to Deserve This?

My birding on Sunday started when I looked out the kitchen window about noon and saw in the watercourse a bird that took my breath away.  It was a waxwing, but it had a yellow crown and a lot more color on the ends of its wings.  I verified that it was a waxwing by the band of yellow on the terminus of its tail and the red spots on its wings, then I ran for my camera.  As I exited the patio door it flew.  I stuck around for a few minutes but it didn't return while I was outside.  I went back inside and my wife said that there was a waxwing in the watercourse again, but again it flew, this time before I could even get a photo. 
After due research and reflection I'm virtually certain that I saw a Bohemian waxwing, exceedingly rare but not unheard of in the county. 

At that point, although needing a nap, I decided to spend some time outside in the hope that the bird would return.  It didn't, but next up was a male Red crossbill.  (I think my wife saw both the male and female later in the afternoon but I didn't get a photo of both. 


I had mentioned a continuing string of juvenile Spotted towhees in the yard, and it's obvious that we aren't finished yet.  This young towhee came to the watercourse.


While I was photographing the Red crossbill a yellow bird in the background caught my eye.  I assumed it was an American goldfinch but it turned out to be a female Wilson's warbler.


Later a male Wilson's warbler made an appearance and took a bath.  I'm now the 'go to 'guy for wet male Wilson warbler photos... I have many!





During the afternoon this male Hairy woodpecker made a rare visit to the watercourse after spending a significant amount of time on the suet feeder.  


And finally, just before turning in for the mid-afternoon nap, I got this visit from a Cedar waxwing, a rare visitor to my yard.  This just reinforces my belief that what I saw this morning was a Bohemian waxwing.  


And I mentioned in my last post one or more Pine siskins that seemingly have extra yellow on their wings.  Here's a photo...



No comments:

Post a Comment