Monday, August 13, 2012

Species Preference for Watering Features


So what does the photo above have to do with this post? 


It's been a rather dull week around here as far as birds are concerned.  We're overrun with European starlings (which are costing me plenty in terms of suet), House sparrows and Pine siskins.  As I watched a very young pair of American goldfinches take baths in the watercourse yesterday a thought came to me.

We have combinations of water features in the yard for birds... hanging bird baths, bird baths on the ground and a running watercourse.  As I watched the young goldfinches bathe, it occurred to me that some of the species seem to have a preference for the kind of water feature they prefer.  (Their choices would probably be more limited in the wild, but here I get to create my own 'improved' habitat!)  I believe that I can create a chart, consisting of our most common birds, and indicate the type of water feature they prefer.  For safety reasons, some of their preferences may have something to do with the location of the water features but in many cases it would seem that some species of birds have a preference for one type or another... at least in my yard.

So my task now is to create that chart... if I'm happy enough with it you may see it here.

On a sadder note, I lost one of my 'followers' last week... one of my best friends who dates back to our time in Austin, Texas in the 1970s.   Rest in peace, Bob! 





No comments:

Post a Comment