Saturday, March 24, 2012

Birding Day Around Skagit County

I managed what was close to a full day of birding on Friday, Mar 23.  I first went to WA Park where I enticed a Spotted towhee to come to a post outside the vehicle with a little 'habitat enhancer'. 


While I was observing the towhee I noticed a Brown Creeper going up a tree right in front of my vehicle.  I tried to take a photo through the windshield but was too close, so I got out of the car while the bird was mysteriously occupied in a slight depression.  This was probably the longest period of time I have ever seen one motionless, but it was soon on the move up the tree again.  I took several photos but this was probably the best.  I think the camera has a difficult time focusing on the bird due to its extremely effective camouflage plumage.  


Next up was a Lincoln's sparrow, a rare find for me, but I found it over on the east side of the Swinomish Channel with a little coaxing. 


Finally, in the La Conner area, I encountered this American Kestrel which defied its usual habit and stayed atop a power pole and allowed me to photograph it.


All in all I came out with somewhat less than I expected but nevertheless obtained some good photographs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment