Saturday, December 3, 2011

Snow Buntings on March's Point

I've spent about ten hours spread over 6+ days attempting to see and then photograph the Snow bunting that was reported on March's Point a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't find the bird myself but was alerted to it's presence by emails from other birders.  By yesterday I had given up but was at March's Point searching for gulls, waterfowl and shorebirds to photograph when I flushed the buntings.  It was a complete surprise.  The original report was for one bunting and I found a flock of five! 

I came tantalizingly close to obtaining a photograph of the birds yesterday but they flushed as I was out of the car mounting my camera on my monopod... and I didn't think the birds could see me!  I did manage a photograph... four of the five buntings, backlit and sitting on the edge of one of the tanks over 150 yards away. 

I returned this morning just after breakfast and waited for over an hour for the birds to show again.  I was frustrated but patient.  I watched a pair of Bald eagles work to successfully capture a waterfowl in the water and was watching the only one of the eagles I could see when I became aware of some movement on top of the berm.  Closer examination with binoculars revealed the flock of Snow buntings.  Over the next hour and a half or so they made about three trips to the side of the road, returning each time to the top of the large tanks or the top of the berm.  On only one of their trips was I successful at photographing them, but I got what I consider really good photographs of the birds.  I have to say that these are beautiful birds, even when not in breeding plumage! 

So I appreciate being notified of this photo opportunity... here are the Snow buntings photographed on our own Fidalgo Island...



No comments:

Post a Comment