Thursday, December 15, 2011

Birds of March's Point

I took the following photos last month while wistfully waiting for a Snow bunting to appear. 


It was a fairly windy day and for either that reason or the fact that there was some small food source floating on the top of the water, there were a lot of gulls moving along the shoreline.  On November 17, the day that these photos were taken, there were about 20 Bonaparte's gulls sprinkled among Glaucous-winged gulls and Mew gulls.  It was the only day of about 7-8 that I observed them along the Point. 


I at first thought that I was photographing a Brown-headed cowbird when I took this photo but I'm now considering that this might be a female Brewer's blackbird.  I'm making that judgement based on the shape of the bird's bill.   If you have an opinion please let me know. 


This is a male Brewer's blackbird as told by the yellow eye...

1 comment: