Sunday, May 29, 2011

And Even More Yard Birds...

Yesterday afternoon I was in the kitchen and looked out the window to see what the birding situation might be and I spied this male Western tanager down by the water feature.  I raced to get my camera,which I am now leaving set up all the time, and sneaked out the front door.  I was able to get about half a dozen photos of the bird before he flew.  I have yet to see a female tanager this season. 

We have American goldfinches all around the yard, and this male flew down to the water feature for a drink.

I had several visits from male Black-headed grosbeaks during the day but I didn't see any females.  

 Just when I thought things couldn't get any better this Cedar waxwing, a very rare visitor to our yard (on average we may have one sighting per year), flew down to the water feature directly in front of me.  I missed 2-3 good photos because I couldn't get my camera to fire... the bird was probably too close for what the camera decided was ideal focus!  However the bird flew into a couple of trees in the yard and although the lighting and angles weren't that great, I did manage to get some photos.  I'm hoping that some of these rarer visitors are staying in the area and remember this water source. 

 The salmonberries are starting to form so once they ripen they should give me additional opportunities for photography.  And of note, the day before yesterday I saw a male goldfinch feeding what was apparently a younger one and yesterday a female House sparrow was responding to begging behavior from two young sparrows.  We still have at least one pair of California quail visiting the yard but so far there is no sign of chicks. 

Today is supposed to be our best weather day in and for several days, so I'll probably spend more time in the yard today. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey hi, I am a newbe when it comes wild birds, or any birds as far as that goes, but to make a real long story short I am at home everyday now and I got 4-5 birdfeeders and 2 different kinds of wild bird seed, and set up to see some really beautiful birds, like you show here on your site. Well I see some cardinals and some what i think are yellow breasted warblers? but mostly dove, which is ok but they kinda run the others off? Any suggestions? Also they seem to come around a few times a day, now this may seem like a goofy question but, where are they the rest of the time? Do they go to they're nest or do they have other feeders they visit? Any info is absorbed, and appreciated. maybe you could suggest where I could find more info, as my search brought me to your website,which I love also I live in Central TX between Ft.Worth and Abilene (closer to Abilene).I like to know which birds to look for. Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete