Sunday, March 20, 2011

We Interrupt This Program...

I've made it out to the local area a couple of times this past week and managed to get some photos, so rather than archive them I've decided to post them. 

First up, a Black-capped chickadee.  This is a rather common bird around here but owing to their constant activity they can be difficult to photograph. 


I found a pair of Ring-necked ducks just off Fir Island.  Although these birds are very widely distributed across North America I seldom see them here, although I must admit I now bird almost exclusively for photography rather than bird sighting and identification.  (My motto:  Shoot first, identify later!) 


Since there were only two ducks in this waterway, and they were both in very close proximity, I'll assume that this is the female of the species. 


Finally, and this is a real leap (and test) for my identification skills, a Common goldeneye off of March Point.  I suspect that this goldeneye was transitioning to its breeding plumage since some of its markings were indistinct.  This bird was alone and interestingly enough, just a couple of days earlier I encountered a merganser in almost the same spot. 




No comments:

Post a Comment