Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Crested Crane

We're now temporarily WAY out of the 'yard bird' category, both in distance and subject matter! 

Yesterday afternoon I received an email from my sister in TX that friends of hers on Whidbey Island had discovered a Crested crane, the national bird of Uganda (and judging from a quick internet search, possibly other African nations).  Not long after this broke I was in contact with my sister's friends and on my way to Whidbey Island.  Upon my arrival I found the bird exactly where I was told it had been... in a pasture with cattle and Canada geese.  It didn't take me long to obtain about 40 photographs of the visitor.  

I was concerned that this wasn't a purely natural occurrence and, if I can believe third or fourth-hand information, my premise turned out to be true.  The bird is apparently an escapee from someone who had a pen of the birds.  So much for one of my sightings entering the county bird records sightings!  However I did obtain some nice photos of the bird, a few of which I'm sharing with you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment