Monday, October 25, 2010

Downer for Yard Birds

Last week my wife spied an accipiter in the yard.  In this case it was on the ground, examining the various clumps of bushes in the yard for prey. 

Yesterday afternoon we returned from running errands and I climbed up to my office to check my email.  When I sat down I immediately noticed a new bird in the landscape... an accipiter!  Like most of those we see here this one seemed to be a sub-adult.  I raced downstairs, assembled my camera and sneaked out the front door.  I was able to take a lot of photos before the bird finally flew. 

The accipiters are known for their propensity to dine birds using the feeders and I'm sure that the large number of birds in the yard are what has been attracting it.  I'll send this photo to a couple of friends and see if they can tell me whether it's a Sharp-shinned hawk or a Cooper's hawk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment