Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday

I spent at least a couple of hours in the yard this afternoon waiting for migrants to arrive, but it wasn't until I had about 15 minutes of direct sunlight left on the on the watercourse before I had any unusual visitors.

First, a fine specimen of what is probably a male Pine siskin.  I am amazed at the variation of colors and patterns on these birds. 

I'm saving what would be my next visitor in terms of time sequence for last, so I've got what is probably another Yellow warbler for your viewing pleasure... 


My final visitor of the day, which came to the watercourse just before it lost direct sunlight, was a female Red crossbill.  I've taken many photos of the male in the yard but today's photos are probably the best of the female.  In the past both birds have been very sly about sneaking into the yard to access the water, but I used a little manipulation (draining one of the outlying bird baths) to get the female into a better photographic location.  

And my most unusual visitor of the day was this MacGillivray's warbler, which I believe I've only seen in the yard one other time a couple of years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment