Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Four or Five Sparrow Day

On Wednesday afternoon I detoured by a development on the NW corner of Fidalgo Island and found the area in fog when I first arrived.  However there were a lot of sparrows in evidence and I photographed a lot of them... either four or five.  All these photos were taken within a hundred yards of the same location.  Here are the photos...

First up, a Song sparrow...


Next up, a mature White-crowned sparrow...

And a 'first winter' White-crowned sparrow... 

The series of photos I took of Golden-crowned sparrows today are probably the best photos I've ever taken of that species, and I managed to get most of the photos with the bird on a thistle head! 

And finally, this is where the identification gets somewhat muddled.  These remaining shots are either of Savannah sparrows, Lincoln sparrows... or both.  The habitat was suitable for either and I'm fairly certain that at least one of the birds is a Savannah sparrow.  (I'll try to get a second opinion.) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment