Monday, January 23, 2012

Yard Birds - Snow and Post-Snow

Just a few more yard bird notes and a photograph and I'll return to the birds of Panama and Costa Rica. 

Here's a male Downy woodpecker waiting to access the suet feeder.  



I may have mentioned that we had a Bewick's wren that had been frequenting our suet feeder in the yard.  This is the wren poised below the suet feeder waiting for the opportunity to access it. 


And finally, this is the male Anna's hummingbird that has made the decision to spend the winter with us.  Before our recent snow we had at least two hummingbirds because I saw them sparring on several occasions, but I'm unsure whether the second hummingbird is male or female... I've only seen a male at the feeder.   


The White-throated sparrow, although seen on several occasions has proved reclusive and elusive.  The White-throated sparrow was back today.  While out in the yard photographing we had an American robin, Oregon junco, Fox sparrow and House sparrow come to the bird baths or water course.  You've got to hand it to them for the feather insulation... I only put my hand in that water when I absolutely must.  They seem to revel in taking baths.

And late this afternoon we were visited by an accipiter... a most unwelcome guest from the rest of the birds' view and too late for any photos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment