Sunday, January 29, 2012

Back to Panama!

These first two photos were taken on Isla Iguana, Panama.  This first bird is hopefully a Spotted sandpiper, one of two I encountered on the island.  I use the word 'hopefully' because identification of shorebirds is a weakness of mine and not one I'm likely to overcome in the time I have left.  This identification came courtesy one of our naturalists. 


This is another photo of the indigenous male Yellow warbler (as previously noted, also known locally as the Mangrove warbler).  This is a spectacular bird!


You're undoubtedly saying to yourself, this isn't like any bird I've ever seen!   This encounter occurred in Coiba National Park, one of Panama's largest.  I was set up on a hillside in preparation for photographing anything that might fly by when this agouti wandered out of some bushes and slowly headed toward me.  From what I understand it's a rodent-like animal who, while its luck holds out, exists at the bottom of the food chain.  



If I remember correctly, and this is the trouble with photography expeditions to unfamiliar areas, this is a male Red-legged honeycreeper.


 A Bananaquit...

No comments:

Post a Comment