Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Still in the Bosque del Apache, New Mexico

A Double-crested cormorant drying its feathers over one of the Bosque's many ponds...


A pair of Great-tailed grackles, an extremely gregarious bird that often causes problems in parks throughout its range.  Fortunately, when I moved from Texas to the Pacific Northwest I left this species behind!  

I was watching over a marshy area when there was some kind of disturbance in the cattails.  I was watching to see what developed (nothing, as it turned out) and so was this group of female grackles.  

 To my knowledge, this is the first Virginia warbler I've seen (or photographed) for my non-existent life list.  I wasn't aware of the significance of the bird at the time I photographed it due to my, "Photograph now, identify later" philosophy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment