Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Tale of Three Sparrows

Those of you who live in the area know that we had a beautiful, sunny day today (Wednesday).  I spent most of the day birding and managed to photograph a couple of sparrows that I usually have difficulty photographing. 

But first, here is a White-crowned sparrow that I photographed several days ago in one of my bird baths.  This qualifies as a 'yard bird'.  It's not rare, but I go for long periods of time without seeing any and I think the most I've ever seen in the yard at one time is three. 



These last two sparrows were at the area known among local birders as the 'West-90'.  There were plentiful supplies of both the Lincoln's sparrow and the Savannah sparrow. 

I'm almost embarrassed to be posting this, but when I arrived back at the house from birding a male Anna's hummingbird was flirting with the watercourse, which was in rapidly fading light.  I took a couple of quick photos which are proving impossible to lighten and still look good, but I thought it interesting that the hummer's gorget shows... apparently as a result of the infrared focus on my camera. 



I believe that you can click on any of these images and they will enlarge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment