Sunday, October 14, 2012

Beginning of Winter Weather Yard Birds

I spent a little time in the yard last week despite the overcast weather.  I had a great opportunity to photograph one or more Golden-crowned kinglets but found in processing the photos that many of the photos weren't especially sharp.  I seem to be having some minor focus problems with my lens/camera but in some photos it seems to operate just fine.  It may be a function of the overcast and lack of light, depriving the camera of some of the contrast it uses to perfect the focus.

With that little explanation behind me, on to the photos...

As I already mentioned, one of the few photos of a Golden-crowned kinglet I thought was salvageable.  I hate to miss these opportunities because this is a beautiful bird and photographic opportunities don't happen that often. 

This is one of an ever-increasing number of Dark-eyed juncos (Oregon race) that frequent the yard.  I'm hoping that a little later in the year we'll have a member of the Slate-colored race show up as it has for the past five years.  And I wouldn't mind if it brought the rest of its family!   (Note the detail in this photo compared with the detail in the photo above despite being taken from approximately the same distance and at the same focal length.) 

What at first appears as a cute little 'innocent' at one of the bird baths.  This is a juvenile Red crossbill... 

but it like's its space when taking a bath, as evidenced by it's posture towards this Pine siskin!  

No comments:

Post a Comment