Sunday, May 27, 2012

New Yard Bird and Masqueraders

I had the opportunity to spend about three hours in the yard late Saturday afternoon.  While much of my time was fairly uneventful, I did have several interesting observations and obtain several interesting photographs.

My criteria for what constitutes a 'yard' bird is any bird I see from my yard, not just what is in it.  So, as you might have guessed, my new yard bird, with corroborating photograph, was observed flying over my yard.  Any guesses?  It was a Purple martin, to my knowledge the first one I've seen despite living at three different locations in this neighborhood for eleven years.  The current house where we live doesn't offer expansive sky views... if I see birds in the sky it's almost always by accident while I'm looking for something in the trees. 

I first noticed a couple of birds high in the sky overhead but they glided out of sight.  I was puzzled by the sighting because the birds didn't fit any of the criteria for birds with which I was familiar.  They didn't return for a long time so my current watch on the yard pushed the sighting to the background.  However some time later I noticed about six or eight similar birds.  They were all relatively high in the sky and spent more time gliding than flapping.  They were somewhat thick-bodied and winged, so they weren't swifts.  I could tell that, although somewhat backlit (a term familiar to birders and photographers but apparently not my spell-checker), at least some of the birds were entirely dark-colored.  I began trying to take photographs but getting the camera to focus on flying birds isn't easy.  I'll make a long story somewhat shorter by just showing you my best photograph of a Purple martin in flight... taken above my house and therefore qualifying for my definition of a 'yard bird'!   



My next interesting observations were of warblers 'masquerading' as other species.  I often have anywhere from six to twelve American goldfinches in my yard at this time of year.  They are probably outnumbered by the more subdued House sparrows and are closely followed in numbers, at least for this year, by Pine siskins.  I was trying to keep track of all the activity in the yard when I noticed what I thought was a male goldfinch on one of the 'staging sticks' above our watercourse.  I was less than being motivated to quickly turn the camera on it, but as I did start to set up I realized that I was looking at a Yellow warbler instead of a goldfinch!  The bird flew before I had the opportunity to photograph it. 

My next observation was similarly a ms-identification.  I observed what I thought was a Pine siskin fly down to the watercourse for water but as I looked at the bird it's shape didn't appear right.  I began studying it more closely but it flew to a couple of perches quickly and then to the top of a tree before leaving the yard.  But before it left I managed to obtain a good look at the diagnostic yellow rump of a Yellow-rumped warbler, presumably of the Myrtle race.  The bird was almost entirely devoid of markings and so was almost certainly a female. 

And finally, after I had given up my yard observation perch, I was in the kitchen at the sink when I saw a bird in the Oregon grape heading for the bird bath out the window.  It actually aborted at that bird bath (possibly due to my attention) and flew to one across the yard.  I ran for my binoculars but by the time I got back to the window it had gone.  The bird seemed to be a light green color with the only prominent characteristic being an eye stripe.  At first I thought the bird was probably a female warbler, but on further reflection I think it probably had to be a vireo... something I've seen in the yard on only one other occasion.  A Red-eyed vireo would fit what I saw quite nicely, but I can't call it a positive identification under the circumstances. 

Another interesting observation I had were a couple of crows playing on a bare branch high at the top of a fir tree.  I've noticed in years past that when the young fledge they spend a lot of time practicing their flying/landing techniques high in the trees.  I suspect that at least one of these crows was a juvenile.  I won't try to describe their behavior... I think these photos speak for themselves.  I believe that you can click on the individual photographs and the software will enlarge them.





We had a lot of visits by Black-headed grosbeaks while I was out.  The grosbeaks are usually somewhat secretive in how they approach the yard, although just outside the yard they are quite vocal.  In past years I've had trouble photographing them due to their shyness, but we have at least one this year that allows me to rather freely walk around the yard while it is on a feeder.  At any rate just before I packed up shop a male came to the watercourse and obtained a drink, which is fairly unusual.  I obtained several photos at minimal distance. 



And I've made a modification to my platform feeder to where, at least for the time being, it seems to be thwarting pigeons!  I consider this a real accomplishment! 

One other incident bears mentioning.  At one point while gazing up in the trees I noticed what I assumed was a male American goldfinch at the top of the tallest fir tree in the area.  I decided to take a photo even though it would probably be one I wouldn't retain due to the distance from my subject.  However as I brought my camera to bear the bird flew.  Upon further reflection I'm fairly certain that the bird was probably a male Western tanager.  I've never seen a goldfinch exposed that high, but it's a common perch for the tanagers in the neighborhood.  My naked eyes just weren't good enough at that distance to discern the red head of the tanager, something that was brought home to me on a spring bird count a couple of years ago. 

And, for no extra charge, I'm including photos of a Pine siskin and a male Red-winged blackbird.  The blackbirds fly up from the ponds down the hill from us, and only at this time of year when they are raising young.




I always welcome friends to observe birds in the yard... just call first.   

No comments:

Post a Comment