Friday, November 4, 2011

Ask, and It Shall Be Given to You!

You read about it right here yesterday and today you've got a sighting and photo to go with it! 

Earlier today one of my neighbors wrote me an email and alerted me that they had had a window kill of a White-throated sparrow.  She also had seen a junco with strange white markings and she wanted me to be alert for the sparrow species and this individual junco. 

I had just read her email and was responding when I looked out my office window (so glad that it's a home/retired office window instead of a working office window!) and I saw Golden-crowned kinglets in the yard.  I quickly closed my communication and went for my camera.  By the time I got to the yard the kinglets were gone and there was a surprising lack of bird population.  However, since I had written about juncos only the previous day but hadn't furnished any photos I decided I would sit awhile and see if something might show up. 

I spread a little 'habitat enhancer' on the ground and a few Oregon juncos showed up and I managed just three photos.  While I was concentrating on getting a photo of one of the juncos on the ground there was a little activity and I suddenly realized that we had a new arrival on the scene... my friend the Slate-colored junco that has been here the last four (now five) winters!  In reality you realize that I have no idea whether or not this is the same bird, but I've never seen more than one of the Slate-colored juncos at one time.  And in line with my previous observations, these two cousins weren't happy to see each other. 

So without further words I give you two Oregon juncos and one Slate-colored junco!  Welcome, friend! 



No comments:

Post a Comment