Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ruby Lake NWR (NV)


Back to my three-week April and May driving trip through the Southwest…

In continuing to process photos I’m realizing that although there were areas (hotspots) where I saw a lot of birds, my really good photos only came from only a few places on the trip.  I spent a couple of days in the Malheur NWR but other than some serendipity occasions most of my good photos came from one lucky afternoon at the headquarters and three productive bushes.  Had I not happened on a large group of migrating  spring warblers fly-catching from those bushes I would have been very disappointed.  

The drive out of the Malheur NWR south was a travel day and I took very few photos.  I photographed a small group of deer, some antelope lying in a field of wildflowers and this female Ring-necked pheasant along the road.  



I was also disappointed in the Ruby Lake NWR… not only is the refuge located in a very remote area of Nevada but they allow hunting on the refuge and all of the waterfowl seemed to be very skittish.  However I did come up with a nice shot of an eagle and had two encounters with wild horses which I managed to document.  

As I approached the Ruby Lake NWR from the north I encountered several Turkey vultures at various places along the unpaved access road.  I have a better vulture photo taken in the area but wanted to post this one to show the snow that was falling in the area.  The white patches on the back of this vulture are snow... it would be doing precious little soaring on this particular day!  


I managed to get this photo of a vulture taking off from a  fence post and thought it somewhat artistic! 

Finally, on the south (warmer) side of the Ruby Lake NWR I encountered two different herds of wild horses.  I'm not a horse person but I have to admit that these horses were not only magnificent but also inspiring.  I was surprised that they seemed unafraid of me, at least while I was in my vehicle.  




No comments:

Post a Comment