Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Can't Get Enough of that Northern Hawk Owl!

This Northern Hawk owl is too good for just one visit!  Today I returned to Reifel Refuge for more photography.  The owl was there when I arrived, but it was backlit and so high up in a tree that good photographs were almost impossible to obtain.  I watched the owl preen for awhile then retired to the vehicle to see if it would hunt.  After about 45 minutes I gave up and continued to the refuge. 

I again had a disappointing day at the refuge... it was cold and the sunny weather that was forecast for Seattle failed to materialize in BC.  The next time I come up I'm going to have to check Vancouver's weather forecast! 

When I returned there was a large group of photographers along the road and I saw the owl land on a power line... not what I wanted!  It soon returned to its usual haunts around the yard by a house and I was able to get another 40-50 photos... and this time many were with it having prey in its beak.  My hands were cold and when it returned to near the top of a tree I called it a day. 

So here are a few shots I got today... 



No comments:

Post a Comment