Thursday, February 25, 2010

Red-Tailed Hawk and Accipiter

Around mid-morning one of my birding neighbors called me and told me that there was a hawk in the top of a tree down the hill and he was trying for a positive identification.  His attention had been drawn to the hawk by crows which were harassing it.  I was reading the paper but it was an easy task for me to retrieve my binoculars and look out the window.  I didn't have a completely clear view of the hawk but after a minute or two of observation I could tell it was clearly a Red-tailed hawk. This is the first Red-tailed hawk I've seen in the neighborhood in several months. 

This afternoon (about 4pm) I walked out the front door to see what kinds of birds might be on and around our brush pile.  I was startled to see an accipiter, upside down, makimg its way down the side of the brush pile!  I immediately rushed for my camera (which unfortunately was  upstairs) and started out the front door.  By this time the accipiter had flown to a low branch on a madrona tree about 15' from the brush pile.  I was in the process of readying my camera when the accipiter flew back to the brush pile and disappeared behind it.  I used the opportunity to approach much closer, but after just a few seconds the accipiter flew, transitioning from a SE direction into an arc that carried it through the forest far to the SW.  So I didn't get a photo but I think I have one posted of an accipiter on almost the same madrona branch from several months ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment