Thursday, January 28, 2010

Neighborhood Barred Owls

On the evening of January 26 I was sitting in my office at my computer and on several occasions I thought I heard some loud noises coming from outside, but they were intermittent and I didn't pay too much attention.  About 9:30pm the noises became more persistent and I opened my window so that I could hear more clearly.  I realized almost immediately that I was listening to a Barred owl, and it wasn't too long after that that it became clear that there were actually two of them calling back and forth. 

The vocalizations went on for about twenty minutes before tapering off.  We've had Barred owls in the neighborhood previously and they are probably here more than we realize, but it's nice to get the occasional affirmation of their presence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment