Monday, December 21, 2009

Short-Eared Owl

I was having a ‘good knee day’ today (12/21/2009) and drove over to Edison to take a friend to lunch. On the way home I was driving down the Bayview-Edison Road, talking on my cell phone, when I caught a glimpse of what was obviously a raptor, and probably an owl, sitting on one of the fence posts on the side of the road. I turned around and retraced my route looking for what I had seen. I couldn’t find it and decided it had flown, but when I turned around to continue my journey I found the owl. I was able to stop my vehicle and take several one-handed photos (I was still on the phone!) before it flew to another fence post just a little further along. I repeated the process at about three fence posts before continuing my journey.


This experience was a nice welcome back to the birding world that I’ve had to mostly forgo for the past several weeks. I’ve birded this area for over eight years and seen many Short-eared owls flying, a few sitting on posts but at some distance but this is my closest encounter ever. It’s a nice ‘welcome back’ to the world of nature!


No comments:

Post a Comment